Docker CE 17.06 Announced
This past week, Docker released Docker CE 17.06, a new version of the Docker Community Edition (CE).
Among the changes:
- Multi-stage builds (helps build “smaller Docker images using a single Dockerfile” by building “intermediate images that produce an output,” so you can, “compile code in an intermediate image and use only the output in the final image.”)
- Service logs and support for log driver plugins
- Several new features for Swarm mode
- Several new features for Docker for Windows and Docker for Mac
Follow the link for a video of Docker’s Mano Marks explaining the changes.
Kubernetes 1.7 Released
Kubernetes 1.7 was released last week. Among the changes: new extensibility features (API aggregation at runtime, Container Runtime Interface enhancements) and security improvements (encrypted secrets, a network policy API, and an authorization mode that limits node access to APIs). Check out The New Stack’s coverage and the blog post from Kubernetes.
Microsoft Nano Server Getting Smaller
Microsoft is making their Nano Server (a small-footprint server OS) even smaller, according to a recent article by The New Stack.
Originally intended as a lightweight server OS with “a compute cluster, a storage cluster and other infrastructure roles,” Nano Server is now being stripped down to contain just enough components to run containers. The smaller, faster version of Nano Server will include platform support for container orchestrators, but components that used to be included by default (like .NET or PowerShell) will now be optional add-ons.
Disney DevOps Transformation
A recent The New Stack article outlines challenges and lessons from Disney’s move to DevOps. Among the challenges:
- Scale (digital expansion = a lot more servers)
- Speed (in-place processes and “red tape” were getting in the way)
- Stability (needed to automate systems configuration)
Additionally, Disney struggled with “institutionalized shadow IT” (every division had their own CTO, every business unit had their own CTO).
The article discusses how Disney addressed these challenges, as well as to “crucial ingredients” they’ve identified for leading a DevOps transformation.
Any major container news we missed? Please feel free to drop us a line. This summary is part of an ongoing series from InfoSiftr, and we want to make sure all top container stories are covered.